Thanks for the suggestions.  I do have "8139too.o" in the appropriate
modules directory.  My router is definitely serving DHCP, I used it in
the install process and for another machine.  I just compiled my kernel
without the "rev. K" option and with "RTL-8139 C+" (as modules).  The
same thing happened (i.e. still no /dev/eth0).  What needs to be set in
*other* *parts* of my kernel configuration (hardware, network, etc)?
Maybe I missed something somewhere else?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.

                        -Brian