Brian Doob said:
>       Thanks for the suggestions.  I do have "8139too.o" in the appropriate
> modules directory.  My router is definitely serving DHCP, I used it in
> the install process and for another machine.  I just compiled my kernel
> without the "rev. K" option and with "RTL-8139 C+" (as modules).  The
> same thing happened (i.e. still no /dev/eth0).  What needs to be set in
> *other* *parts* of my kernel configuration (hardware, network, etc)?
> Maybe I missed something somewhere else?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks.

Ok.. well, with regards compilation I was walking to wurk after I made my
post to you this morning, and this occurred to me:

  $ ls -o /usr/src/
  total 12
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root  22     Mar 17 02:08 linux -> linux-2.4.20-Stroller/
  drwxr-xr-x   14 root  4096   Mar 15 23:59 linux-2.4.20
  drwxr-xr-x   14 root  4096   Mar 18 07:54 linux-2.4.20-Stroller
  drwxr-xr-x    2 root  4096   Feb 24 22:55 patches-Stroller

Do you check that the sym-link points to the directory you're in, before
you compile the kernel..? I think that's relevant.

  $ locate 8139too.o
  /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-Stroller/drivers/net/8139too.o
  /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-Stroller/drivers/net/.8139too.o.flags
  /lib/modules/2.4.20-Stroller/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o

The important part is that these files exist in a directory structure that
relates to the output of `uname -r`. On my system, then:
  $ uname -r
  2.4.20-Stroller

Hope this makes sense. modprobe presumably searches for modules in
directories based on the results of `uname -r`

uname is set by editing one of the header files in the source tree. In the
unlikely event it's wrong, grep for it. I suspect your symlink, if only
because that's the mistake I made.

Other than that, the bst advice I can make is that http://tinyurl.com/7qq0
seems to have been updated lately - maybe the kernel configuration options
suggested there may help you.

Ther kernel doesn't panic at any stage of bootup, does it..? Your machine
boots normally, with only the network device failing, right..? I only ask
because I made a dumb mistake that returned this symptom when compiling
modules a few weeks ago.

Let us know how you get along,

Stroller.