You could go to ftp.ibiblio.org:/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles and pull the bz2's from there

Eugene Van Dam wrote:

Thanks for the reply, only one other problem I didn't state. The box with internet access is not a gentoo box... I have access from a Win2K account and/or from a rh7.3 account...

Is there another way?

Eugene

Quoting Michael Denio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

You can use "emerge -f" on the machine with internet access and place the downloaded files from /usr/portage/distfiles into the same directory

on the machine without internet access. I assume there is also ftp access to the tarballs so you could use that instead of "emerge -f"

Eugene Van Dam wrote:

Hi

I recently got hold of a live-cd containg gentoo stage1,2 and 3

tarballs and a

few packages. I read through the /usr/share/doc/install.txt and also

read the

portage manual and guide. I find the whole portages/emerge idea very interesting and would like to give it a try, except I have the little

problem

of no internet access on the box I'm installing Gentoo.

I have internet access elsewhere, so my question is how would I go

about

installing and keeping up to date, my gentoo box at home. There surely

must be

a way to set up /etc/make.conf or whatever to lookup the files i

separetly

downloaded and copied to /some/dir/.

emerge sync, emerge -up world , ect all want to connect to the gentoo

mirrors.

Any help?
Thanks
Eugene