Best to do this from stage 3, as the CD will have some pre-compiled binaries
for you.  See the install instructions.

emerge -p packagename will not always tell you which *files* will be needed
for instalation of said package.  I seem to recall seeing a script in the
forums for such.  You would probably do well to search there.