begin  quote
On 31 Mar 2003 20:19:15 -0500
Mike Atamas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is the GWN some sick twisted april fools joke?
> Are we really moving to rpms and if so who is smoking the crack. If
> you want rpms use redhat.
>
> Mike Atamas
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Actually the "moving to rpm" isnt too far-fetched... *cough*

ebuild *.ebuild rpm
(I'm not sure if that target works currently though, I know it once did)
 , then move the portage text-stored backend to rpm, by making emerge
interface with rpm at install time instead of using its own format...
and whamm, you have a rpm based gentoo system with the true flexibility
of portage.

Its actually quite an interesting idea, since making it this way would
indeed make the system more lsb-compliant, (bah!. I hear you say)  and
would also add a few other "nice" things to the system (What I hear you
ask, give me a moment)

one of theese would be the ability to generate rpm binaries from
portage, and also by using this, you can easily adapt apt-rpm to fetch
from a gentoo built binary tree (with a default set of use flags)  and
we'd have our own flexible system, but with the ability to pre-create
packages.
It would also be a technical "goodness" since it would provide an
integrity-check for how portage works, ie, make sure that there are no
"loose ends" in packaging, that just works because of how its done
currently.  (this is actually quite a common problem in code,
unfortunately)

of course, that it could be done, doesnt mean that it should be done,
nor that it will be done. :)

Small side points:
rpm dependency hell: wouldnt really be an issue since all deps are
correct in portage, and portage would still be used to trace theese.

Xlibs in default system.. no thanks.

well, This should be a healthy douche of  gasoline on the embers of
the rpm/april1st joke.....

//Spider
  -- matches, we need matches!  -nedit is better than vim and emacs!

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!