Hi Paul,

On April 3, 2003 02:12 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2003 10:47, Carlos C. Gonzalez wrote:
> > One thing that is very confusing trying to figure this out is which
> > directory KDE is using.  .kde3 or .kde3.1.  I have been told on the KDE
> > list that it's .kde3 but there are files in my .kde3.1 directory that
> > seem to be getting used such as my
> > /home/carlos/.kde3.1/share/conf/bookmark.xml file.
>
> Gentoo uses a "nonstandard" kde scheme to allow for multiple kde's living
> next to eachother. Kde first looks for configuration at the .kde directory.
> This is a symlink to .kde3.1 . Also the konqueror file manager is just an
> "embedded application" in konqueror, so it can have non-konqueror
> configuration files.

Thanks for your input Paul.  I think I will just clean out my KDE 3.0 branch
and then see what's left to better understand this non-standard kde scheme
under Gentoo.  It's still a bit confusing because even though I understand
the symbolic link to .kde3.1 it seems that some files like bookmarks.xml are
used inside my .kde3.1 directory while others like my konquerorrc file come
out of my .kde3 directory.  Very confusing to say the least.  My .kde3.1
directory has hardly anything in it (at least config wise) while my .kde3
directory is full of stuff.  Yet I always use KDE 3.1.  Go figure.

Oh well.  I'll see what's left after I get rid of KDE 3.0 and go from there.

Thanks again Paul.

Carlos
www.internetsuccess.ca