Richard is correct here. The listings in Top are inter-process threads,
not processes. The memory trick is a way to tell; or the knowledge that
Java is threaded tells you all you need to know.

On the question: I wonder if there is something going on with Volano's
app. For instance, there are a number of changes in 1.4 that are not in
1.3 and require new code to take advantage of them. For instance, we
have an app that we run that cannot run in 1.3 because we use the 1.4
SDK. It may be that there app is optimized for 1.3; there are some
changes to the networking IO.

But this is a stab in the dark. I do not know exactly why that is the
case.

Ben Ricker
Wellinx.com