On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 05:35:47PM +0200, Gwendolyn van der Linden wrote:
> > Which java sdk should i use?
>
> What do you want to use it for?
>
> Gwendolyn.

IBM's JVMs for Linux have always outperformed the Sun ones on
Linux (and Blackdown, I think).  They have provide both a 1.3.x
and 1.4.x JVM, and both perform very well.

Sun made drastic improvements to performance between 1.3.x and
1.4.x, which makes it popular.  I think the blackdown 1.4.x JVM
also performs well, and it is the only one with a plugin that
you'll get to work in your browsers in Gentoo (there is some
glibc version issue with all the others, last I checked).

If you want to write code that runs everywhere right now, there
are still lots of people stuck in 1.3.x land, so you might want
to shy away from 1.4.x for a little longer.  Some of the new
library functionality in 1.4.x is available via libraries from
jakarta (http://jakarta.apache.org), such as log4j, Regex, ORO
(perl-like regex).

    - richard

--