On Tuesday 27 May 2003 23:42, Ernie Schroder wrote:
>       Close! you enable it in /etc/modules.d/nvidia. This, in turn updates
> /etc/modules.conf. If you edit modules.conf, it will be overwritten the
> next time you start X. Be prepared to revert back to where you are now.
>       How about posting /etc/modules.d/nvidia so we can have a look at it.

I've put the option that brett suggested in /etc/modules.d/nvidia, not in
/etc/modules.conf. I think, he mistyped or smth like that :). I knew that
modules.conf is not the right place to put one's options.

And what do you expect to see in my 'nvidia' file? If you wanted to know what
my GPU is: its a GF4 MX440 SE.
Anyway here it is (I think it's rather common):

<begin file>
# Nvidia drivers support
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195

# To tweak the driver the following options can be used, note that
# you should be careful, as it could cause instability!!
#
#   To enable Side Band Adressing:  NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1
#
#   To enable Fast Writes: NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
#
# To enable both for instance, uncomment following line:
#
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
<end file>

Last option works perfect, no errors (at least visual). I'm writing this
message with that option set (I'm in X of course :) ).
And what error might one expect to happen when setting this option to 1?

And another thing that left unanswered: what is 'FastWrites' and why might I
need it?

--
Gentoo Linux 2.4.20 #1 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux