On Tue Jun 03, 2003 at 02:28:38PM +1200 or thereabouts, Jamie Dobbs wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 10:19, Michael Rasile wrote:
> > On Mon Jun 02, 2003 at 09:38:18PM +0000 or thereabouts, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> > > Why didn't you use the one in portage? what changes did you make in your
> > > XF86Config file?
> > > --
> > >
> > > --[ UxBoD ]--
> > > GPGKID [402E340E] [182C F930 C7E4 CA70 A202  9A82 82AC B1EA 402E 340E]
> > > gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 402E340E
> > >

> > I chose to use the driver from the nvidia site because it is the latest driver and
> > it does install quite easily. There is one file and the install, IMO, is much
> > easier than the portage and it is not the latest version of the driver. I'll send
> > along my XF86Config file for you.
> >
> I can't get either the Nvidia sourced or portage sourced Nvidia drivers
> to work. I get these errors from the portage driver:
>
> #modprobe nvidia
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/video/nvidia.o: unresolved symbol
> _mmx_memcpy
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/video/nvidia.o:
> Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
>       and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
>       assistance, only they can help you.
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/video/nvidia.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/video/nvidia.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r5/video/nvidia.o: insmod nvidia failed
>
> And the Nvidia sourced driver just won't compile and complains about the
> kernel source :/

Are you using the driver from Nvidia site? It's one file and needs to be made
executable. After doing this, from a console (can't install this driver while in X)
you simply type ./Name of driver and everything should be taken care of. It will not
find a module in the kernel for this driver and will compile one for you and install
it. The only thing you need to do is place nvidia in your /etc/modules.autoload file
and it should come up at boot. You need to edit your XF86Config file and change the
"nv" driver name to "nvidia" Also add Load "glx" to your "Module" section in
XF86Config. If "dri" is enabled, disable it and things should work. That is all I did
and when I do lsmod, it tells me that nvidia is loaded. The drivers from the Nvidia
web site are the latest. The ones in portage are not. Hope this helps. Any more
questions, please ask. I will try to help as best I can.

Mike
--
Regards,
Mike