Dell Inspiron 8200 with a radeon card.  xfree was/is a pig, especially
trying to use the LCD at high resolution and the external at a lower one
for a projector, and an ext monitor at a different res again.  Nvidia
cards were less fuss!  (by the way, does anyone have an XF86Config that
will allow the LCD to run at a different resolution to the the external
monitor AT THE SAME TIME with on a radeon M9?) When dell first released
the 8000, there were lots of problems with the hardware (no
drivers/setups available), so steer clear of newest models - desktop
hardware is relatively constant and evolutionary, laptops ....

Expect some fun when trying to set it up as lots of issues that desktops
dont generally have (odd hardware, suspend, moving across networks,
int/ext monitors/keyboards/mouse, touchpads.  Overall, Mandrake (8.2
days!) was less fuss at first (most things were already set up), but
gentoo is far better once that hurdle is over.  You just keep emergeing,
instead of blotting the disk every 6 months when a new distro comes out,
and then go through the whole setup thing again and again.  Gentoo is
for the long haul!

BillK