I used to have that problem with my Latitude c640... I was using alsa, and
I never figured out how to fix it... but now I've got the driver compiled
into the kernel, and have no problem.

The thing I do have a problem with is if I allow the BIOS to make the
screen go dead, upon resuming activity, the framebuffer is HOSED.  I have
to reboot to fix it.  I've tried a whole bunch of stuff, including BIOS
updates, but haven't had any luck.

It could be the Radeon driver, but I'm not really sure.

  Brian