Very nice idea, Chris.

I'll keep it for the next trial build.

Thanks
Gus

Chris Bare wrote:
Details:
# emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources ... OK
# cd /usr/src/linux ... OK
# source /etc/profile ... OK
# make menuconfig ... (Lot's a thinking and wondering here. My first kernel compile) ... OK (I think, no errors indicated)

Here's my suggestion to minimize the thinking and wondering. Since the
live CD obviously booted and worked on your system, why not use it as a
starting point for your custom kernel?
When you just run make menuconfig it starts with some default that may
not work for anyone. To get the live cd's config, try the following:

right before you: chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash, do this:

cat /proc/config > /mnt/gentoo/root/config

then, right before: make menuconfig, do this:

cp /root/config /usr/src/linux/.config

that puts the livecd's config in your kernel source directory. Now you
can use menuconfig to look at it and change it. Even if you change
nothing, this kernel config should build and work.