Thanks, brett.

I've already done what I wanted -- using 'id username' and then 'usermod'.

Now I have another problem: Portage still says that user is not in 'portage'
group...
'less /etc/group' shows that he is there, but 'emerge -s no-matter-what'
thinks in another way :).

Do I have to take some additional steps? I tried to exit from current xterm
and login in another one but to no avail. It continues to think that I'm not
in portage group....

Is there something I did wrong?

TIA,
Dmitry.