Finally figured it out.  I was stuck at the boot, but found out how to
boot single user mode via grub and then removed it alla rc-update.  All
is good now

I will take your advice about adding ntpdate to my local.start.
Although I think adding to Cron would be better. I'll try both.:)

Thanks for the help.

Bobby R. Cox