David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You can remove it from boot with:
> rc-update del ntpd default
>
> I stopped using ntpd and just put ntpdate in my /etc/conf.d/local.start file.
>
> # ntpd doesn't work to well so use this for clock setting
> ntpdate ntp0.mcs.anl.gov
>
> not sure if this would stop the problem if it cannot connect to the server yet.
> But ntpdate works better.

What do you mean with 'ntpdate works better'?

I'm using ntpd here for over 5 years with a lot of success.
The main difference between ntpdate and ntpd is that ntpdate sets the
time once in a (possibly) huge jump and exits, whereas ntpd slowly ties
the local clock to the exteren reference clock.
Ntpdate is good to be run once - at boot time. Then don't run it again
or your sytem time may jump - which some daemons really don't like -
especially if the time jumps backwards.
Ntpd should be started with at least three external reference servers
and asures that your local clock is as much in sync with those servers
as possible.

Cheers,
Juri

--