On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 03:54:40PM +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Thursday 12 June 2003 15:33, David wrote:
> > I had 3 servers and when looking in the logs, saw a lot of
> > connection problems. Also, system was showing problem stopping
> > the ntpd when shutting down or rebooting.
> > If I would check the server it was usually fine from my memory.
> > Also, I think it would depend on if your system keeps time well or not.
> > My system is usually on the money except for a few secs or so.
> > I have ntpd setup on my Dad's system cause his time is off a lot.
> > I haven't heard any complaint from him though, like I had.
> >
> > Have also seen a lot of people recommending ntpdate over ntpd. Maybe
> > they had the same problem or it's just another urban myth. :)
> >

> I don't know but the use of ntpd is to be prefered over ntpdate as ntpd
> prevents time lapses, or even double occurence of the same time, which can be
> a cause of problems in compilation (makefiles rely on good times).

My understanding is that a combination of the two works well - and
that's reflected in the gentoo (and other distros) ntpd startup script:

- ntpdate is a one-time setter that uses the protocol to determine
  the current time.

- ntpd is a daemon that uses the protocol to keep your clock honest.

If your clock is way off, ntpdate changes it to the correct time without
complaint. If you start up ntpd and your clock is currently incorrect,
it'll correct a small error or give up on a large error.

So the startup scripts do something that seems pretty reasonable: they
run ntpdate as you're booting, then start up ntpd. Seems to work pretty
well.

Nathan Meyers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]