I would really love to see this work but unfortunately it doesn't you get

*** Package in world file is not installed: bla/bla

and it dies. (you too can experience this just put a valid non-installed
package into your world file and do a emerge -u world)

I have been experimenting with injecting the stubs first (with emerge -i
bla/bla-version) and combined with a stage3 install doing a emerge -e
world. With some simple bash for loops its not hard to set this up, the
problems I have encountered so far are these. First virtual/bla packages
sometimes block each other (I have postfix in my world file and vcron
insists on installing ssmtp first) stopping the compile. Also kernel
modules pose a problem (I also have nvidia-glx in my world file as well
as alsa-driver) that can be overcome by compiling a kernel first, but
some packages (qce-ga for example) use the actual kernel version thats
running to determine the correct location to install modules, hence
stopping the compile. The last problem I had was general failed
compiles, and there is absolutely no way to "restart" the -e world
without doing it again. After 4 installs each stopping for various
reasons at an average of 12 hours in each install I gave up and am going
back to the drawing board. I personally would Love to see installing
packages from the world file be incorporated, what are other peoples
thoughts or experiences with this?

Douglas Peter Sculley             GnuPG key available at www.usal.us
Key fingerprint = 9030 49CE A54F 1920 05E7  FE41 3E34 6C16 E4BB 8A7D