On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:44:43 +0100
Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 20/6/03 8:59 am, "Ohad Lutzky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:37:14AM +0200, Sebastian Hungerecker
> > wrote:
> >> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:29:04 +0100
> >> Jan Drugowitsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Create a second runlevel and add all services to it, which are in
> >> the current runlevel except xdm. Then add an entry to grub, which
> >> boots in this new-created runlevel
> >>

> > That sounds like the right way to do it. Can you give an example of
> > the right kernel parameters?
>
> Runlevels are not specified as kernel parameters - I don't think this
> is possible to do as a grub option.

Of course you can tell grum which runlevel you want. You just stick the
runlevel NUMBER (not name) on the end of the kernel line. Copied from my
grub.conf:

title Gentoo Linux - Current Kernel - Single User
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 1

> My personal preference is for something like:
>
>   # cp -r /etc/runlevels/default /etc/runlevels/gui
>   # rc-update del xdm default
>   # rc-update add xdm gui

Looks right to me as far as it goes.

Also edit your /etc/inittab and replace the line:
l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc default
with
l5:5:wait:/sbin/rc gui

if you want run level 5 to be the gui. I've selected run level 5 since,
from memory, 5 is what Mandrake and the like use for the gui run level.

> This will cause your box to boot into CLI mode & a command propmt. To
> get a GUI you simply log on as root & type `rc gui`.
>
> Alternatively, you might:
>
>   # cp -r /etc/runlevels/default /etc/runlevels/cli
>   # rc-update add xdm default
>   # rc-update del xdm cli
>
> This would cause your box to boot to the GUI as it does now, then you
> would use alt-F1 to get a CLI; login as root to `rc cli` & shutdown
> the GUI.

Again, edit /etc/inittab as appropriate and you can use grub to select a
runlevel.

> Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I hope this clarifies the previous

HTH HAND.
--
Mark Gordon