Chris van der Pennen wrote:
On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 19:12, MAL wrote:

/Chris van der Pennen wrote:
On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 18:30, MAL wrote:

/MAL wrote:
Append the runlevel name (number in other distros) to the kernel line at boot.

Like when you boot single user mode by appending 'single'.

So to solve Jan's problem, create a new directory in /etc/runlevels called 'graphical'

rc-update add xdm graphical

rc-update del xdm default

Then simply add an entry to grub that appends graphical to the end of the kernel line. Boot this new entry to get a graphical login, or the original to get command line only.

Sorry for replying to my own post, but a little reading has made be aware that this may not work as expected.. you may need to add all the services from 'default' to 'graphical' too, as I do not think booting 'graphical' will also start the services in 'default'./

Well that's easy enough to fix - cp /etc/runlevels/default/* /etc/runlevels/graphical

Then you have to maintain 2 runlevels, no?/

Cron.

Well that makes little or no sense to me.. if you have 2 runlevels in /etc/runlevels, one for X one for console... and you add a service to your system, you would need to remember to add it to both runlevels, is this correct?

MAL