Release management for Gentoo has, indeed, not been meaningful in any obvious
way.  But maybe that has to do with what Gentoo is?  Maybe the features are
the glue that ties all this stuff together and not the individual project
code?  Gentoo doesn't modify things from the way individual project
maintainers release them, right?  KDE, for example, is exactly as the KDE
team released it.

So, if the actual Gentoo product to be released is the scripts that tie this
stuff all together, getting it all installed and working together, then I can
accept it.

If that isn't the intention of the Gentoo developers, then it at least could
be said to be true, in effect.  So, it's a little confusing at first, but one
can deal with it.

Matthew

--
Matthew C. Tedder