On 2003.06.21 21:40, Owen Gunden wrote:
On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 09:07:07PM -0400, Owen Gunden wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 01:36:40PM +0530, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> > IMAP has its own hierarchy, which has nothing to do with the
filesystem
> > hierarchy.
>
> I've been having some similar issues with IMAP (using courier-imap,
> squirrelmail both from portage).  Can anyone point me to some docs
which
> describe the hierarchy used by IMAP (or specifically courier, if
it's not
> standard)?

Perhaps I should give more details...

I'm using exim with maildirs.  I would like to use the following
layout,
which is simple and works well with Mutt/exim/procmail:

~/Mail/INBOX/
~/Mail/folder1/
~/Mail/folder2/
~/Mail/folder3/

exim delivers mail directly into ~/Mail/INBOX.

Now I would like this to work with courier-imap and squirrelmail.
I've
been tweaking MAILDIR in /etc/courier-imap/imapd, and playing around
with
the ``Default Folder Prefix'' option in the squirrelmail config, both
with
no decent results.

Any help would be very appreciated :).

Owen

I use postfix, courier-imap, and procmail. Postfix never touches my maildirs, but it used to.

I'll give you a little how-mine-work and how-i-got-there:

i have ~/.maildir/ for my mail. Inside that there are the 'cur', 'new', and 'tmp' folders. This is your inbox. New mail is in new, once marked as read (or unmarked as new, whatever :) it gets moved to cur. There will be a few other files here that courier uses.

Courier puts Inbox at the top of the heirarchy, I'm not sure about other IMAP servers. So for example, i have a folder called "Lists", which is a subfolder of INBOX. The other directories were created by me and my mail client.

inside .maildir, subfolders begin with a . character. As far as i can tell, the . is used much as / is used in the filesystem to represent directories. I have a folder called "~/.maildir/.Lists", which is the lists subfolder.

Heres where it gets fun: All folders are contained in .maildir: my gentoo-user folder, which appears in my mail client to be under the 'Lists' folder, is in the same directory, and it is named ".Lists.
Gentoo-User"

Maybe somebody else can explain this better than I.

-Chris I

Dare to be naive.
                -- R. Buckminster Fuller