On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 06:22:49PM +0200, Timo Boettcher wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> Nachricht vom Dienstag, 24. Juni 2003, 16:44:47:

> >> Show upgrading a simple, small paket instead.
>
> > Also show them how you can install any version (well, any version in
> > portage) of that package, and upgrade and downgrade at will.  One of
> > my big beefs with debian is you can only really install the latest
> > version of the software, and you can't downgrade without having the
> > older deb packages there already.  Gentoo you just emerge the
> > version you want.  A *very* powerful (and overlooked) feature I
> > think.
>
> The problem is, that many packages are IMO thrown out of portage much
> to early...

True, but in general you can at least downgrade a version or two if
something messes up.  I remember more than once searching around for
debian mirrors that hadn't updated when I needed the old version of
postgres or something like that.  Oh well, each distro has it's place
though right? :)

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net