On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:54:51 +0200
ueberlamer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 June 2003 20:36, Brenden Walker wrote:
> > > A couple of thoughts regarding the recent fork:
> > >
> > > Did the person that forked fork it because he wasn't going to
> > > be making any
> > > money from Gentoo?  That's the impression I'm getting from
> > > all of this.  Feel
> > > free to correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > Not from what I can tell, he seemed to think that Gentoo was trying
> > to keep him from making money.
> >

> Reading his story about the dispute he had with Daniel Robbins it
> seems like he wants to govern his new distro in a rather similar way:

This is all interesting when you read DRobbins explanation why he
started gentoo in the first place:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-dist1.html

If you haven't, read (or if you have re-read) the sections: "People can
get Ugly" and "Understanding the Freak".

As forks go, this is pretty calm. I remember riding out the sorcery
debacle, where the lead guy decided to take his ball and bat and go
elsewhere (another "sweat equity" issue it turned out) when lunar-linux
forked and the rest of us were left dangling in the breeze as we didn't
want to switch to lunar. My opinion at the time was that it was a
great example of how-to force a fork and shoot yourself in the foot
while throwing away any goodwill you had generated, all at the same
time. I don't know the status of lunar, but SourceMage was going strong
last time I checked, and the original still seems to have a following as
well.

All I can do is give thanks for the GPL!

--
Living in the complex world of the future is somewhat like having bees
live in your head.  But, there they are.