I think ntp is the wrong tool for the job here. ntp isn't for keeping you
clock about right, its for when you want yor clock to be extremly acurate.
You should have a working clock to startwith (i.e. no harware errors or
miss-configurations) Unless you force it to (-g I think), ntpd will usually
kill itsself if it detects an error with your clock (i.e. if it goes to far
out of sync it will give up.)

Just saying, 'coz ntpd seems to be a slightly missused tool.

Rob