On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 10:20:32PM +0000, Juri Haberland wrote:
> Robert Bragg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I think ntp is the wrong tool for the job here. ntp isn't for keeping you
> > clock about right, its for when you want yor clock to be extremly acurate.
>
> > Just saying, 'coz ntpd seems to be a slightly missused tool.
>
> Nope, ntp is *exactly* for keeping your system clock in sync with UTC.
>
> So use ntp. It's there exactly for what the original poster wanted.

My point was (I still think this is correct) that if his setup is
resulting in his clock getting out of sync on a daily basis, by 20-30
minutes then he has bigger problems to think about before he starts
playing with ntpd. Sure ntpd is an excelent way for keeping clocks in
sync. Perhaps I over emphasised with the words "extremly acurate" (sorry)
I was just making the destinction between jumping a clock by 20minutes,
every hour and somthing that would rather skew you clock speed to catch
back a lost _millisecond_. ntpd wont skew the clock for 20min, it will
usually exit becuase it suspects you have a serious problem! You can
overide that behaviour, but I can't see many reasons for doing that
Most computers are capable of keeping _fairly good_ time on their own,
any time when ntpd isn't running (e.g. if you turn your computer off)
your clock shouldn't stray by much (milliseconds/seconds I guess
depending how long your machine is off)

By all means use ntp, but atleast make sure you clock is physically sound,
you have set your timezone correctly and there should be no other reason
for the clock to jump around unexpectedly else you will just confuse ntpd.

Thanks,
Rob