begin  quote
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:34:12 +0200 (CEST)
Joel Palmius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As a note of interest here: I don't think this is gentoo-specific
> problem. I had exactly the same problem with two different versions of
> Mandrake too.
>
> Amusingly enough I never had the problem with older versions of
> Mandrake, so something must've changed during the last 18 months or
> so.
 [ CUTS BIG BLOTCHES OF REPLIED TEXT]

Well, don't take me to hard on this since I don't have quotes or links
to back it up, and frankly I'm too lazy to pop up google right now and
find the quotes for you ;) , but, I recall the timekeeping problem
boiling down to changes with  preemptive and lockbreaking systems, along
with some changes to how the kernels internal tick's go.  as said,
running hwclock --hw2sys  in a cronjob would work, but only at the price
of brutalizing your logs, causing make to fail (it checks timestamps,
and you just changed time on a running kernel)  and generally cocking
things up.

Better to use ntp mainly because of its small sync changes.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!