There is more than one cause.  Check the forums, its full of this
issue.  The definite cause for me on a celery dell laptop was the gnome
battery applet.  It has a known bug (fixed???) where it stalls the
machine whilst reading /proc under apm.

On a later machine with a much faster p4, you can sometimes see it
wandering a little, but never as much as previously.  ide accesses (esp
burning cd's) was another cause.  Check the unmask irq and dma.

Chrony seems a little more tolerant and trouble free than ntp under
these conditions, but I think ntp does a better job on a normal system.

BillK