Hello Robin,

Am Montag, 7. Juli 2003 15:45 schrieb Robin Rowe:
> Michael,
> Changing LILO root to /dev/hda3 made no difference. Other ideas?

Not yet ;-)

> How is lilo.conf supposed to work with the recommended partition layout? I
> haven't created a setup like this before where the boot image is on an
> optionally mounted separate partition. What does LILO do with
> /boot/bzImage? How does it know that refers to /dev/hda1? Since
> /boot/bzImage is a temporary mount/chroot during installation, and not
> really on /boot of /dev/hda3, why should 'image = /boot/bzImage' work?

Well, I do not know how lilo works exactly, but afaik it remembers where your
kernel-image resides physically.  When you mount your /dev/hda1 to /boot,
copy bzImage to it and call /sbin/lilo, lilo looks in lilo.conf, finds the
line "image = /boot/bzImage" and remembers the position of it on your
harddisk. That's why you have to call /sbin/lilo every time you installed a
new kernel, even if the new one has the same name.

My setup looks like follows:
/dev/hda1       /boot
/dev/hda6       /

lilo.conf is: