On Wednesday 09 July 2003 03:29 am, Robin Rowe wrote:
> > Did you include the 'lba32' flag near the top of lilo.conf?
>
> Yes, I did.
>
> One of my partitions had been inserted not in linear physical order.
> On the chance it would help I have repartitioned using a more
> conservative layout, re-installed, and this time picked the GRUB
> loader as someone suggested. Hasn't made a difference.
>
> Now when it boots I now get "GRUB GRUB GRUB" and so forth. Booting
> GRUB from floppy gets farther, but kernel panics when it tries to
> mount root:
>
>     grub> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3
>     grub> boot
>     ... loads kernel and drivers ok ...
>     Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:03
>
> Here's my hard disk GRUB setup:
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
>
> And contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf:
>
> default 0
> timeout 30
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title=Gentoo Linux
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3
>
> Partitions:
>
> /dev/hda1    100MB boot ext3
> /dev/hda2    512MB swap
> /dev/hda3    4GB root reiserfs
>
> Has ext3 and reiserfs and the other items mentioned in the install
> instructions built into kernel (not modules).
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robin

Robin,
        Just for laughs, try commenting out the splashimage line. I've found in
the past that a splash image in the wrong format will mess you up. If
you haven't messed with the image, this probably isn't the case but
it's worth a try.
        Also, you say, "when it boots I now get "GRUB GRUB GRUB" and so forth".
I'm not clear on this. If it comes to a point where just "grub" is at
the cursor, there is a problem with the grub setup. Try pressing the
TAB key a couple of times. You should get a list of commands that can
be issued to the grub shell. You can play there. Tab completion works
in the grub shell so in the edit mode you can type, say "root (h and
hit tab and it will complete the line for you. HTH
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free