For future reference, one of the options in the advanced menu of fdisk is to
renumber partitions in disk order. But I had them out of order on my laptop
for ages and no problem. Shouldn't really matter to anything that doesn't
suck. :-p
What hardware are you running (ide card, motherboard, drive)? Also, for
precision's sake, what does `fdisk -l /dev/hda` give you?
Given what you've said it sounds like there's something unusual about your
setup. You seem to have done everything right, but that's hardly unusual for
wierd stuff like this.
You might want to try attacking it from the floppy first--boot from the
liveCD, back up your .config, copy /proc/.config over, and use that kernel
to boot off the floppy. If that doesn't work, something's *really* wierd.
Hmm. Maybe the disk has a bad sector in the first track?
Good luck...you'll need it, I think. At some point you're probably going to
want to go to the LILO or GRUB lists.
-Heschi