>Hmm, that's weird.  You might run a file system check with
>whatever tools reiserfs has and repair if necessary.

For the benefit of those who may have this problem later, I had been leaning
toward Brett's suggestion and that's what I did:

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/md0

This was after I used the --check and --fix-fixable options.  --rebuild-tree
was
what finally did the trick.

Just for background, this is ReiserFS on a striped software RAID array.  Can
others
point to problems under these conditions?  I'm somewhat concerned because I
suffered
a different failure using ReiserFS about two years ago.  I'd since read that
it was
production-ready, but I'm a bit worried by what just happened.  comments?