Hi all,

I just wanted to collect some general ideas about how to set up a
laptop for optimal performance and power savings. Here are a few
thoughts and questions, if anyone has any comments or answers please
answer !

1) Which Filesystem to use ?

I think the best filesystem for a laptop is ext2. It does not have a
journal, which should mean fewer disk accesses hence less power
consumption. However, it's kind of slow, so I am wondering if reiserfs
with the notail and noatime options would not be better.

2) Which Window manager to use ?

I usually use gnome/metacity as desktop environments, however, I find
them both power and resource consuming, any suggestions ?

3) APM or ACPI ?

I have tried both and can't make a choice, does anyone have any
experience to share ?

4) Which kernel to use ?

I am a bit lost here, I use the gs-sources because of the cpu speed
scaling options, but I do not know if this is the best choice.

5) Framebuffer or not ?

Is framebuffer power consuming ?

That's all I can think of,

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

--
Free Speech Is The Right To Shout 'Theater' In A Crowded Fire.
                -- A Yippie Proverb