Timo Boettcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:27:16 +0200:

I would use ext3, because of the journal. A laptop is
very rarely used in such stable environment as a desktop, and I would
choose a the additional fs-security over few minutes more runtime
anytime.

Exactly, esp. when you happen to have a ACPI-only laptop: Sometimes you don't know when your battery runs out.

> 3) APM or ACPI ?

> I have tried both and can't make a choice, does anyone have any
> experience to share ?
My Notebook is to old for ACPI *g*.

ACPI will supersede APM one day, until then APM has much better features (sleep, hibernate). So, if your laptop is supported by APM, go for it. If not, hope that someone happened to patch the very latest ACPI into your kernel, quality changes almost every week. Some release supported switching off my laptops display, the next didn't, the next did it again. Strange.

> 4) Which kernel to use ?

> I am a bit lost here, I use the gs-sources because of the cpu speed
> scaling options, but I do not know if this is the best choice.
I use gentoo-sources, but don't ask me why. I couldn't give a solid
reason.

If you need ACPI, you should go for gentoo (stable relase), ck-patches (current patches) or pfeiffer-sources (kind of gentoo-beta, afaik). If you don't, choose as you like.

> 5) Framebuffer or not ?

> Is framebuffer power consuming ?
I would choose framebuffer over X anytime, because its a lot less
CPU/Memory consuming. I was told that Links and Mplayer run in FB
without problems.

I like framebuffer for the better display of small fonts, but my graphics adapter isn't accelerated under fbdev (ATI radeon 7500 mobility); So I run X using their driver. If you don't care for nice fonts and stuff, leave it out. HTH,

- Christian

--

Christian Aust
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]