Anthony Floyd wrote:
[snip]

Replying to my own message: when I tried this out, because I had emerged -up
world recently, I had to use the --deep parameter to get any output. And
WHAT a long list it was, too - my USE flags have definitely changed since I
had the system installed, and now it wanted to install Xfree. Why..?

I tracked it down to GhostScript.
Check this out:

[snip]

Can anyone explain this, please..? I would have expected `USE=-cups emerge
ghostscript` not to install CUPS at all.

[snip]

Are you sure it's ghostscript? I get the expected behaviour:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] .../portage/app-text/ghostscript> emerge -pv ./ghostscript-7.05.6.ebuild

[ebuild  N   ] media-gfx/gimp-1.2.4  +python +nls -gnome -aalib +perl -doc +jpeg +png
+tiff -doc
[ebuild  N   ] media-gfx/gimp-print-4.2.5  +cups -doc +nls
[ebuild    U ] app-text/ghostscript-7.05.6 [7.05.5] -X +cups -cj

It's gimp that starts it off.

It doesn't want libglade, because you (correctly) have the gnome USE flag unset, but if you set that flag, it will require gnome-libs and other gnome related packages, and eventually libglade.

MAL