We were able to get three identical machines where gentoo, Mandrake and
debian were installed for a basic i386/i586/optimised by gentoo
(-march=petium3 -pipe -O3) comparison.  Nothing fancy, roughly standard
installs, of similar configuration (where debian was a mixture of
various versions) so that if you run the same application, on the same
data using the same command, you expect to see an indication which
system is faster.  cpu's were celeries.

My problem is that gentoo seems to be trailing in performance (sometimes
by as much as 1/3 behind debian!).  Opening the same large spreadsheet
on each machine is slower on gentoo, gimp scripts are slower etc.  Tests
are not super sophisticated, but real world in that the gimp script is
used by someone in their day to day work, the spreadsheet is one of mine
etc.

Mandrake and debian (monolithic, no modules) used the 2.4.21 kernel,
against 2.4.20 gentoo-sources with preempt etc (it seems gentoo is
behind here?)  xfree versions did differ with gentoo being latest 4.3,
but that seems an unlikely culprit.  The tests I witnessed did hit the
swap a lot, due to having only 256M ram, but that was not does not
account for all of the difference - should be similar.

The only real difference seems to be the modular gentoo-sources 2.4.20
kernel - could that be the problem - but I would not expect
applications to be overly affected by the kernel?  Items such as dma,
disk performance, swap etc are similar.

Any suggestions where the cause could be?

BillK