On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 12:50:49PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Daniel,
>    One sort of urban legend that's out there in the Linux audio
> community has to do with the value of a dual vs. single processor
> systems and how much they can help in this area.

It depends what you are looking for. If you are worried about dropouts,
the main issue is ensuring that the kenrel driver does not get starved
for CPU and doesn't allow the playback/record buffer to underrun/overrun.
Audio hardware buffers are generally small, so you generally want to ensure
that your audio driver is getting CPU regularly. Preempt can help with this.

Another issue is the priority your audio device is given on the PCI bus.
This can be tweaked for special-purpose situations to prevent garbled audio
if you are pushing your PCI bus to the max. You can read more about PCI
latency in part 2 of my Linux hardware stability guide:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw2.html

Third, in theory, yes, a SMP system can allow a process to run unhindered by
other processes on the system if you have things set up right. This can be
done using "CPU affinity" features which are now in 2.5 as well as 2.4
kernels with the O(1) scheduler (which most of our kernels have.)

The real key is first figuring out what problem you want to solve, and then
figuring out what is causing that problem. It can be many things, from high
system loads, to "unfairness" (or too much fairness) in the process
scheduling, or possibly your PCI bus being overloaded or due to PCI device
latencies being set wrong, or something else.

I think that a modern uni-processor system with preempt and the low-latency
patches enabled would be great for audio work. I don't think you'd
specifically need SMP, unless maybe I'm unaware of some special situations
where it would be needed.

Hope this helps,

--
Daniel Robbins