Every few seconds something accesses my harddrive, therefore a suspend
(hdparm -S1 /dev/hda) is impossible. I have a notebook, so I would really
like to spin down the drive for less heat, noise and a longer battery life.

I suspect the filesystem reiserfs to do these annoying accesses. It is a
journaling filessystem and I guess that ext3 would do that also. Somewhere
I found a tip to mount with noatime, but that didn't help.

So what are my options? I read about noflushd which reduces drive access to
a minimum, but only works with ext2. I would prefer to keep the journaling
file system. Anyone solved that problem? Will reiser4 be better in that
view?

mg