On Wednesday 23 July 2003 12:27, Christian Aust wrote:
> Arnold Krille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:44:24
+0200:
> > Just one little question: WHY do you want to do this???
> >  From my personal experience: ext3 is _much_ better than reiserfs!
> > Its backward compatible, so you can easily fix it with ext2-tools, which
> > isn't the case with reiserfs and which is the reason why I switched from
> > reiserfs to ext3 as my reiserfs had faults no one could repair...
> full ACK with what you've mentioned about rescue system and such, but in my
> case I'm using 2.4 rescue disks only which happen to have reiserfs support

from my experience the only rescuedisc you find in case of an emergency is the
oldest ;-)

> (i.e. Knoppix). Also I found that reiserfs performs much better than ext3
> on the computers where I've tried it. And performance is one of my top
> concerns for everyday use on my laptop.

Don't know about performance but my ext3 don't feel slower than reiserfs,
espacially as on most modern laptops more and more ide work is done from the
processor and so every filesystem is slower afaik.

> So I'd like to give reiserfs a try on the laptop, too. Best regards,

Do it if you want, but my bad experiences with reiserfs where on my
every_days_work laptop where its not possible to add another disc for
temporary backup...

Arnold

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---