It really takes a lot of time to compile the whole kde environment and
if you say that you stop the compiling and restart it, it should take a
lot more as the package that the emerge was compiling when you stopped
it will be compiled again from the start. One thing that might help a
bit is to emerge ccache and add in FEATURES in make.conf the ccache
option (don't forget to change the default size it uses for cache in
make.conf).
  I don't really know a lot about framebuffer (the only thing I know for
sure is that it doesn't work very well on my computer :-P) but I could
make a suggestion about what you might be forgetting when recompiling
the kernel. If you are using lilo for boot manager then after each 'make
bzImage modules modules_install' you should do the following:

mount /boot
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/nameofthekernel
vi /etc/lilo.conf (to add an entry for the new kernel you have named
nameofthekernel) (optional if you overwrite the old kernel with the new
one)
lilo (THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!)
umount /boot

and you are ready to go. You probably forgot to run lilo after copying
the new kernel.
  I hope that helps!