I amtrying toinstall 1.4_rc4 off the install cd,I think I have now ruined 3
HD's.
The machine is a Gateway 500S. With an intel 865G chipset. Original 1 HD 40G
Maxtor Fireball 3, I added another WD400BB 40gdrive as slave. When the drive
is new it will boot it up fine, I infact installed all of 1.4 all the way
through the install using hdb1 as a /home onlydrive. Install went fine, but
upon booting the first time the machine hangs. It will not boot again with
the WD drive? No matter what I try the WD will not allow the machine to boot.
I can boot into mynew gentoo system fine as long as I leave the WD drive
unplugged. So I tried another out of the box. It boots the CD fine and ran
fdisk /dev/hdb and partitioned it as hdb1 and made an ext3 out of it. I even
mounted it and wrote to it using the CDbooted system. As soon as I boot again
I'm back to the same problem. It will not boot with the WD drive.
Anyone have any suggestions??

Mike
--
Michael W. Holdeman