William Hubbs wrote:
Hi all,

has anyone else noticed that emerge sync is taking a lot longer lately?

I have noticed that lately it is taking a lot longer to finish -- After the message

Updating portage cache ..... Done.

It just hangs there for a long time then finally exits. I saw a segmentation violation at this point yesterday then reran it and it went ok.

Below is my "emerge info" output. Can anyone shed any light on why portage is suddenly taking what seems like an hour plus to do an emerge sync?

Emerge sync was never really 'quick' as such. A lot of files (~50000) files get updated each time including cache during the 'hang' that you mention. Unless you have a very fast computer it will take some time.

Possible reasons it may be taking longer are if you have FEATURES="fixpackages" or if package categories have been modified at the dev end and they are being changed around by portage.