On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 02:32:59PM -0400, daniel wrote:
> On July 29, 2003 01:50 pm, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
> > Emerge sync was never really 'quick' as such.  A lot of files (~50000)
> > files get updated each time including cache during the 'hang' that you
> > mention.  Unless you have a very fast computer it will take some time.
>
> so what're the chances that portage might be switching to a more robust
> database-driven setup?  i'm just a webgeek, but i would think that doing an
> emergesync and updating the portage cache would be considerably faster if
> everything were running on mysql or something....

True, but then you force everyone who is running gentoo to have a full database as
part of the base system, and I don't think that is a good idea.

I don't understand the internals of portage very well at all, but there must be a
better way of handling it than what we have now without using a full-blown database.

William