On Wednesday 30 July 2003 05:16, Bud Roth wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 08:13, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> > Try depmod -a -F /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5/System.map
> > Don't know if it'll work, but could be the problem.
>
> I did that, but to no avail.  There is no System.map.  See:
>
> # ls
> COPYING               MAINTAINERS     README          config.old       dell_config
>       include         kernel-config   patches.txt
> CREDITS         MAINTAINERS~          REPORTING-BUGS  config_bkup
> drivers       init            lib             scripts
> Changelog.rmap  Makefile              Rules.make      config_dell_alt
> fs            ipc             mm              te
> Documentation   Makefile~             arch            crypto
> grsecurity    kernel          net
> # pwd
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r5
>
> The fact that it is missing is suspicious.  What makes System.map?  I
> don't know why it is not there.  I did
>
> make clean
> make dep
> make bzImage modules modules_install
>
> Any ideas?
Is "Set version information on all module symbols" enabled? I don't think it
should need to be, but it can't hurt. Actually, I remember having this
problem myself a long time ago. I think I did a make distclean and doing
everything from scratch fixed it. Or you could unmerge, delete the src tree
and remerge.

> > What is this? A threat? Please don't assume that a lack of help is
> > because we don't want you with us. It is almost exclusively a lack of
> > knowledge (or understanding) of a problem in situations that there are no
> > valuable replies.
>
> Actually, I hijacked another person's message, someone who was having
> the same problem as myself, so I didn't actually write that.  I suspect
> it was exasperation, not a threat.  I myself, if all else fails, would
> about to give up. ;-)  I appreciate the help.  Please don't think
> otherwise.

No sweat!

Jason