Bering wrote:
Collins Richey wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:32:59 -0400
daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On July 29, 2003 01:50 pm, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:

Emerge sync was never really 'quick' as such. A lot of files
(~50000) files get updated each time including cache during the
'hang' that you mention.

so what're the chances that portage might be switching to a more
robust database-driven setup?

My $.02. I don't need to sync hourly, so it's no big deal. I'd rather see time spent on making portage more robust.

Agreed! Just put emerge sync in a cron job or during the night, and you'll never know how much time it took ;) Like you did with emerge xfree... and kde.. gnome, etc..

Yes. That is what I do. Here's what I use in /etc/cron.daily/sync.cron.

----
#!/bin/bash

DIR=/tmp/portage
LOG=$DIR/updates.log
HOST=$(hostname | awk -F. '{print $1}')
SUBJECT="$HOST package updates"
EMAIL="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

emerge sync &> /dev/null
emerge -Duvlp world > $LOG
mail -s "$SUBJECT" $EMAIL < $LOG
----

For this you need SMTP started and mailx emerged. Then even if you have fixpackages in features it doesn't matter how long it takes.

To be honest, I think mysql to run portage is excessive. Portage at the moment is quite lightweight and works well with simple text files. Adding database administration is just going to make debugging and maintenance more complex and tiresome. Also, other portage todo's may take priority like reverse dependencies and sticky settings from what I hear.