Thanks for the responce Tom; however this is a long standing problem. Since i
put in a new harddrive and rebuilt gentoo. I didn't have this problem before(
on the old harddrive) and i find it quite annoying now.

Could it maybe be that my account is in a group that somehow writes over being
in the portage group? Or maybe i just belong to too many groups.

Could some people please send me their output for "groups" so i have an idea
of where mine should be??? I realize its an odd request, but private emails
are welcomed ;).

bryce