It's to anyone's advantage to learn both emacs and vi.

1) As mentioned, vi is on everything *n?x. If ever in a bind, vi will be there.
2) Emacs is incredibly easy and extensible. It is the proverbial kitchen sink,
and as also mentioned, the keybindings for cutting/pasting/navigating are
supported right from the bash command line. ;-)

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 16:26, Ronald Kuwawi wrote:
> one advantage of being able to use vi is it's usually available
> as a standard editor with default install on Linux distro, NetBSD,
> OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and other unixes  and does not need X to run it.
> so if somehow you can't run X, it's useful to be able to use vi
>
> Ronald
>
> Nathaniel McCallum wrote:

> > I can type just fine :).  i was just never a fan of vi.  Its nothing but
> > personal preferance.
> > Nathaniel
> >
> > --

Know your neighbor. Discover independent media:
http://www.thislife.org/ - This American Life - documenting "everyday life" in the US.
http://www.humanmedia.org/ - Promoting "compassion, service, generosity and equality."
http://www.worldlinktv.org/ - "a global perspective on news, current events and
culture"