On Thursday 31 July 2003 09:21, R'twick Niceorgaw wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2003 at 14:51, Matthias F. Brandstetter wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > some users on my server have SSH access to the machine, but I don't
> > want them to be able to leave their home directories (ee.
> > /home/userXYZ).
> >
> > What is the "best" way to implement this, does anybody know?
> > Greetings and TIA, Matthias
>
> chroot ssh ?

As far as I know chrooting a user in their home directory would not be a
good thing under normal systems.  If a user is chrooted to their home
directory, they will not be able to use their shell, ls or any other
command because they would be outside the chroot environment.

The way around this (I think?) would be to copy all the commands and needed
libraries for the commands somewhere under /home (i.e. /home/chroot/bin and
/home/chroot/lib), then create the directories ./bin and ./lib under each
users home directory, next make hardlinks for each command and library from
/home/chroot/bin and /home/chroot/lib to to each users ./bin and ./lib
directories, and finally set the ownership to root.root and permissions to
0755 for each hardlink.