wow...quick reply :) i guess they werent lying when they said gentoo has
terrific forums! wooho!

well about possible nic/nat problems...i highly highly doubt it, becuase
like i said, i run redhat9 linux on the same box...its a dual boot. and
the live cd was able to easily use my nic, like i mentioned earlier. but
now back to your questions...

the following was run on my gentoo install:

cat /etc/env.d/01hostname:

HOSTNAME="farrell"

(you said it should have a FQDN...but it doesnt...but if it was supposed
to have a fqdn, why is the filename 01hostname? just curious...i like to
learn :) )

lsmod:

usbcore                55488   1
8139too                14152   1
mii                     2160   0  [8139too]

(hum...looks to me like petty few kernel modules...but then again i have
practically nothing configured...sound, printing, etc..) also, you asked
about my kernel...ya its a gentoo-sources install, and instead of
menuconfig, i did what the install docs told me to do to have it merge
the options gentoo would chose for me...i forgot the command it was...i
can look it up if necessary. so perhaps it compiled  lot in statically?
well in either case my box is lightning fast compared to my redhat9
install...gentoo boots in like 30 seconds, redhat in about 90 seconds...

ifconfig eth0:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:02:44:14:1B:72
          inet addr:192.168.1.105  Bcast:192.168.1.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::202:44ff:fe14:1b72/10 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xf000

and about ipchains etc..i dont think so... i dont recall them loading at
boot time, but it scrolls by soo fast i dont know if i'd really
notice... but all i have installed on gentoo is what i had emerge
install: sync, gnome, kudzu, but of course it satasfied any dependencies
those had. how do i check to see if ipchains, etc is installed? im used
to redhats rpm -qa ;(

thanks again,

farrell farahbod