Hot Diggety! Farrell Farahbod was rumored to have written:

> 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26
> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xe08cf000, 00:02:44:14:1b:72,
> IRQ 11
> eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139B'
> eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 0000.
> eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> eth0: Tx queue start entry 4  dirty entry 0.
> eth0:  Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
> eth0:  Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
> eth0:  Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
> eth0:  Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.

After further thinking, I would suggest sending your /usr/src/linux/.config
file. In particular, I'm interested in your IO-APIC and ACPI table stuff
because there is a small chance of that misprogramming the IRQ routing
tables.

If the system delivers the IRQ from the ethernet card to the wrong place
(due to a misprogrammed IRQ routing table) then the driver essentially
never sees a single interrupt and hence, not a single packet.

Judging from the fact that it works fine for both the Gentoo LiveCD boot as
well as the RH 9 HD boot, all three setups using the same driver... the
only thing that differs is the kernel config, so this is quite possible
that you have IO-APIC or ACPI issues causing all this fun.

Can you also post the full dmesg output right after a boot into Gentoo
off the HD?

_And_ also a full dmesg output from a boot into Gentoo off the LiveCD?

(In both cases, you can do: # dmesg > /yourredhat9partition/gentoo.boot-hd
and likewise for gentoo.boot-cd, and also cp /usr/src/linux/.config
/yourredhat9partition/gentoo.config then upload these files for emailing.)

You're welcome to send these directly to me to avoid spamming the list if
you like... if I see anything useful, I can summarize it to the list.

Also, what kind of system is it? (CPU make, model, frequency, and
motherboard make and model. If you know, what chipset is on the motherboard
such as SiS900, etc. This is important.)

Is it an uniprocessor or multiprocessor system?

-Dan